When some of us were sleeping on the night of Wednesday 13th/Thursday 14th April 2022 - Ancestry rolled out an update to our Ethnicity results. We get updates every now and then, my last one was September 2021 and before that July 2020. As science and technology advances, the information a service can provide us changes. So most of us are used to this change and getting updates from all the DNA companies about our Ethnicity.
But this one comes with steak knives, you know those wait there is more adverts?
The more you will be finding along with this Ethnicity update is called SideView™ technology, showing us our ‘ethnicity inheritance’.
Here is what mine looks like. This new technology gives Ancestry scientists an ability to show us which side of our family our Ethnicity Regions came from, without having tested our parents:
How can you see your Inheritance results?
If you haven't kept a note of your previous Ethnicity Estimates, you can do this by clicking "Updated Month Year" of the current estimate (it is at the bottom of the Ethnicity Estimate list in the right hand panel) - a tool tip will appear, click on "Ethnicity Updates".
Some things to remember:
- The movement of humans over time between Ireland and Scotland makes it challenging to separate those regions - so don't be surprised if your Scottish/Irish regions aren't quite as you expect. Worth reading this post if this is a factor in your results.
- While the vast majority of us will benefit from this new tool, current parent one and two separation technology isn't likely to be possible for DNA lines involving
- recent pedigree collapse and/or
- Two key points from the Ancestry PR info I was sent this week that SideView™ is
- based on your DNA and NOT your parents along with data from all your matches.
"We’re really excited to see the release of ethnicity inheritance, the ability to split ethnicities by sides of the family without parents completing a DNA test "
- the FIRST feature we can expect from this new technology...
"This is just the first feature as a result of our brand new proprietary SideView™ technology."
Post a Comment